Thursday, August 28, 2014

Washington DC - August 2014

 This month I were lucky enough to take a trip to Washington DC with my mom and sister.  (Well, Dan was there too, but he was working :))

We planned this girls trip a few months ago and were looking forward to having some fun times together and we were not disappointed.

We flew out on a Sunday evening which didn't seem like a bad idea at the time, but here's the problem . . . our flight was landing at 11:30 eastern time which in itself was still not a big deal the real problem was that we flew into the Baltimore airport which was about an hour away from where we were staying in Arlington, and had I also had booked us a Supershuttle to take us to our hotel.  I've taken the Supershuttle before and it hasn't been too big of a deal, but when it's late and the shuttle is late and you are the VERY last stop on the route it makes for a LONG night.  We did not get into our beds until about 2 AM.  We had tickets to tour the Washington monument at 10 am Monday morning, but decided we needed our sleep more.  It's ok though, we did end up touring the Washington monument another time.

Anyway . . . after a long day and night of travel we finally made it to our destination.  After a good night's sleep we decided to spend our first day at Arlington National Cemetery.  This is such a neat place to visit.  It's amazing how big the place is and how the gravestones go on and on.



JFK's gravesite




Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (this is the exact moment Dan decided to call, yep pretty embarrassing)









Our first night we ate at PF Chang's - It is my favorite!!!


This is the bed that Dan and I claimed for the week.  There was NO way I was letting my mother sleep on this thing.


The next day we headed over to the Washington Monument in the pouring rain.


View from the top

Then we visited the American Museum of History - This is one of my favorites




I really need this sign


Afterwards we had lunch outside and we had a fun time feeding the birds our fries


Nikki was pretty freaked out, but it made us all laugh


Air and Space Museum




We stopped by the gardens for a minute and found these GIANT leaves


And this cool plant


Nikki surfing out of the subway at Foggy Bottom




It was a beautiful day to visit the White House




The Capitol


Thomas Jefferson Memorial


FDR Memorial




Korean War Memorial


With the big man himself


Seriously, it was a beautiful day!


In Ford's Theater - the box where Lincoln was shot 


The bed in the home across the street from Ford's theater that Lincoln died in


All these books are about Lincoln


The 9-11 memorial at the Pentagon 




A 9-11 exhibit at the Newseum




There was also an Anchorman exhibit at the Newseum






This made me giggle


I had such a great trip laughing with my mom and my sister.  I'm so glad that we got to do this together and hope that one day we get to do something like this again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment