Saturday, May 9, 2009

Disneyland

We have returned home from Disneyland! This past week we had such a great time going to Universal Studios and Disneyland with nana and papa Taylor. The weather couldn't have been better and the girls did really good considering they walked for five days straight. I know, I'm a mean mom not bringing strollers for them but I find it simpler if we have less stuff to carry along.

Monday we flew in to Burbank and headed to Universal Studios. This park didn't have a lot of rides but there were a lot of fun things to look at. Hannah was too short to do nearly any of the rides they do have but we did convince Emma to go on the Jurassic Park ride with us. She was a little scared thinking about what the dinosaurs might be like but about halfway through the ride she was ok . . . that was until the end where the huge t-rex comes out and your boat plummets down. Ahhh, it was great fun. We went to see the special effects show which me and Emma got to participate in. It was fun but a little scary being on stage in front of everyone. I was so proud of Emma for raising her hand and going up there to take part. She is such a shy kid I thought she would never do it, but she did and had a great time playing the wind chime. Next we went over to the Backdraft show. I love the Backdraft show but as soon as the girls heard there was fire in this show they were scared. We tried to tell them that it was real fire (Emma kept asking if it was real fire) but it was controlled and just a show. Needless to say, Emma came out of this one crying. Maybe we'll try it again in a few more years. We took the backlot tour which is one of my favorite things to do. I love to see all the sets. It's amazing how they can build these things and how they come to life when it comes together on the big screen. I was a little sad to see that they no longer have the clock tower from Back to the Future up. We got to see the street where all the Desperate Housewives live on (although I don't watch the show it was pretty cool. The lady behind us was going crazy over it). We saw a set from Fast and the Furious and the set from War of the Worlds where the plane crashes into the neighborhood. It was amazing to see how big that plane was. They said that it was a real plane they used to take apart and create the scene. I also got to see the studio that Life is filmed it. I love that show! I was hoping that Damien Lewis would wander by so I could take a picture. I'm a sucker for a redhead. Anyway . . . after a long day at Universal Studios we headed over to our hotel that was right across from Disneyland.

We spent the next three days enjoying Disneyland. I really do love that place. Everything is always so clean and happy. I was also really impressed to find out that they offer many gluten free choices of food. I got my gluten free guide from city hall on the first day that we got there and from there enjoyed as lot of yummy meals and I didn't get sick once on this trip. This may not seem like a big deal but it seems like every time I go on a trip I end up coming home really sick. They cooked all their fries in separate fryers (no cross contamination) and they had gluten free buns and pizza crust and some of the stands. It was wonderful!! I know, I know, enough with the food already. I was excited what can I say. The weather was so wonderful the whole week, mid to upper 80's. We didn't need jackets but as long as we weren't in the direct sunlight all day it was great. We rode on a lot of rides that I have never been on before. Mainly because we did a lot of stuff for Hannah and I have yet to ride all the kiddie rides. It still was great. It it so awesome to see how excited your kids get. I love to see them smiling and laughing and having a great time. Hannah did have a few 'hulk' moments (as we called them) where she would get tired and scream something like "MY FEET CAN'T WALK ANYMORE" or "YOU'RE NOT LISTENING TO ME". Hannah's favorite rides where the Winnie the Pooh ride and the Matterhorn (which she barley made the height requirement for). Emma loved the roller coaster in Toon Town (I forget the name) and the Big Thunder Railroad. She loved Big Thunder so much that she ended up going on in five times in three days. I enjoy Splash Mountain and Space Mountain. Dan said the roller coaster in California Adventure was great but I didn't end up going on that one, I stayed with the girls and my mom. This is the perfect time to go because the weather is great (as I mentioned) and the lines are short. It's between spring break and the end of school so not many people go this time of year. Emma just happened to be off track so it worked out perfectly. I think the longest we ever waited in a line was maybe around 20 minutes, but most of the rides we just hopped right on. I was sad when it was time to leave Disneyland for the last time. My only complaint would be that everything is over priced there, but I expected that. Yes I paid $7 for a miniature pizza for Hannah's lunch and $14 to get my two girls balloons among other things, not to mention the hundreds of dollars spent in the gift shops but it was all worth it. I can't wait to start saving money for our next vacation. I was really glad that my parents came also. We had a lot of fun laughing with them and they were always so helpful with the girls. Thank you again nana for helping me with Hannah as she was on her quest to visit every bathroom in the park. And thank you papa for keeping the girls entertained even when the rest of us ran out of energy.

Friday was our last day in California. We decided to go to the beach until it was time to get on the plane. We went to Huntington beach. I froze most of the time we were there. It was a nice day but the breeze of the ocean was cool. As everyone was was dipping there feet in the ocean (except for me shivering on the beach) a giant wave came in. My dad and Dan hurried and scooped up Hannah and my mom and Emma ran for it. I looked up just in time to see Emma hit in the back with a wave that knocked her over. She was soaked and cold but we were all laughing. We hadn't planned on getting really wet so we had to dig through packed suitcases to find some dry clothes. We walked down the pier and then down the street with the shops. I can't believe how many people were there. Don't people in California work? Ok, well I'm sure they do but I was really surprised by all the people at the beach that day. We then took a ride over to see the Queen Mary ship which we decided not to take a tour of when we found out it was $25 a person to get on the boat. (Really!?!) And then headed to the airport so we could head home. We were so glad to make it back to the beautiful Salt Lake valley. Our only problem was that when we parked at the airport neither me or Dan bothered to remember where exactly we parked. So after we got off on the wrong stop and wondered a bit my parents saw us and laughed then drove us around to find the car. I really felt dumb that we both had no idea where it was. We finally found it right near where my parents parked. This was all happening at about 10:00 at night in the dark so that didn't make it any easier, but we finally found it and headed home.

Now it's time for the pictures. I hope you enjoy!




The first picture of the trip (be prepared to see that 'thumbs ups' pose a lot)


Two of these people behind us are statues, one is a person. Can you tell which one?


Yep, that is the man and he's coming after Hannah


Dan and the Hulk


The view


The stage where Life is filmed (yay!)


Set from Fast and the Furious


Ahhh!


Bates motel


Plane crash from War of the Worlds





Hannah met a friend. (she wasn't scared at all)


Yikes!





What do you think of our new friends? Do they look familiar?


This was there favorite part. The love Spongebob!! (I love how Hannah is holding his hand)


Emma was called on stage for the special effects show. She did a great job with her wind chime.


Hannah and Gary





Silly drink


There's that pose again


Giant Lego





Emma and nana








Family picture


nana and papa


On the Toy Story ride


We let them get a little wet in California Adventure





I think the sun is in their eyes. hehe


This is as close as she got to Minnie.


Giant Dan


Hannah and papa


At Outback after a long day (and a thumbs up)


At the Tiki Room





Sweet kiss


Giant suckers


This is how she uses her back scratcher


Rubbing the lamp


In Tarzans treehouse


Ready to ride the matterhorn


Papa's new hat


The girls new hats. (Yes, Hannah is trying to pose like that)


Ice Cream Break


Messy girl





Thumbs up on the merry go round


The beach


This picture shows sweet Hannah


This one shows hulk Hannah


Driving their boats in front of the big boat


Queen Mary





Hugs


The plane ride home

3 comments:

  1. We got to take Sam to Disneyland last November, and it was so fun! It was like being a kid all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh your pics reminded me of jrs first (and only) trip to disneyland a couple of years ago... i think we are going to try to go to disneyworld next year before he gets too old for that kinda stuff (is that possible?)... i think my fav pics were the ones of your girls getting wet at cali adventure, the girls on the giant lego, and the one with the family in front of universal studios... too cute~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all of your pics. Especially the ones with the girls and the characters...it is adorable how Hannah is holding Sponge Bob's hand.

    ReplyDelete