Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bump In The Night

So I have to tell you about the scary experience my cousin had a few weeks ago. They were asleep one night when my cousin Amber's husband Chris heard something outside. He thought it might be the wind but decided to check on it anyway. He looked out his back window and saw a man in the backyard. He could tell that the man was trying to get into the house so he woke up Amber and had her call 911. She grabbed her two little girls from across the hall and called the police. They heard the man enter their garage and then break the window on the door that leads from the garage into the house. They locked the door to their bedroom and she got into the closet with her girls, still on the phone. They heard this man go through all the rooms in their basement and then heard him coming up the hall. The cops were telling her that they were almost there. After the man searched through both the girls rooms across the hall he tried to open their door. Chris was pushing up against the door as the man was ramming the door with his shoulder. Finally the man broke the door open enough to reach his arm in and turn on the light. When he did he saw their dog (a boxer named Athena) looking at him. She's pretty scary looking and Chris yelled "Athena attack". When the man heard this he dropped the piggy bank he was holding (yes that's all he was stealing, a three year old's piggy bank) and ran. At this time dispatcher told Amber that the police where there. They found the man out back hiding behind the garage.

I can't imagine what kind of fear they felt that night. Especially with their children in there with them. I don't know what I would have done. You never know what the man would have done if he had gotten into the room with them and the dog wasn't there. This person was just a 19 year old strung out on drugs looking for any kind of cash he could get his hands on. It's scary to think he would go that length to get it. They have since gotten new better doors and new locks. He went through their cars in the garage while bleeding so they had to get their cars cleaned completely. It made me start thinking about what if a situation like that happened at my house. What would I do, what kind of protection do I have. I'm so grateful that nothing bad happened to any of them.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot; now I'm going to be paranoid for days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kind of crap always has me worried! We have an alarm system on our house, but I am still a crazy paranoid! How scary! I'm glad she went and got her little girls first. That would be my biggest fear! I hope that they have been able to sleep at night since then. I don't think that I would be able to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap! I'm already a paranoid person. Did he have any weapons on him? That's so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't post this to scare anyone (Joel) haha. I just know that I didn't think about what I would do or how I would defend myself until this happened to her. I just want people to be aware so they are ready for anything. It also made me decide to show Emma how to open her window and tell her that if there is an emergency to just push the screen out (don't worry they are ground level)so that if there was a fire or other emergency she knows what she could do.
    Nope, no weapons. They are now thinking of getting a gun. I've never been a gun person but I can't imagine feeling so defenseless.

    ReplyDelete