Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Navigating The City Of Dallas

So we made it to the wonderfully confusing city of Dallas, Texas. First off I have to say that their roads are the most confusing thing in the world. I'm used to two freeways and a grid system. This place is nothing like home. First off, they have LOTS of different freeways lots of on ramps and off ramps in random places. These freeways split off constantly into three more freeways again and again. AND, they don't believe in exit numbers, no that would be to easy. They decided to name all the random exits after people or random places so you have no idea when your exit is coming. Normally you have three choices when coming up to a stoplight, turn right, left or go straight. Not in this town. I feel like it's an evil spiderweb leading you in random circles to nowhere. Even my GPS got confused. It kept saying weird things like 'veer right and turn left' and 'take the next exit left turn left and veer right'. Or it would just start going crazy and keep saying 'turn around' again and again. I was waiting for it to give up and say something like 'I give up, your on your own'. Or start cursing at me for missing the right road multiple times. That would be funny.

Pedestrians don't follow the "don't walk" signs and a lot of people I see driving just go through red lights if people or cars aren't coming. It's a miracle they don't have hundreds of deaths a day in this town. And speaking of the lights they don't like to hang them above the street like back home they just put them off to the side where you aren't looking (because you are watching for crazy pedestrians) or are hanging sideways. If I leave this city without an accident it will be a miracle.

I also have to deal with the fact that the hotel we are staying at it's only valet parking. That's a whole new experience too. That poor valet man probably thinks I'm crazy or something. I'm sure he dreads it every time I pull up and just stop in the middle of the road (yep, that's what they do). He's always very nice to me but I know that he'll be excited to see me go.

We have taken a few walks to find food and such and it seems like a really nice place to be in downtown Dallas. The only weird things are the weather (I'm sure everyone knows it's humid here) and the "No Loitering" signs everywhere. I guess they don't like people hanging out in one place too long. I'm thinking that's not a good sign.

Here are a few pictures I took while driving.


1 comment:

  1. I thought Utah driving was bad. I would be totally doomed there. Good thing it's you and not me. You have a much better driving sense than I do. By the way thanks for the birthday presents, they are great. My b-day wasn't the same without ya singing in the kitchen to me!

    ReplyDelete