Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Uneventful Day

Today was supposed to be our big swimming day at the water park. However, that is not the way fate would have it. We got up and got all dressed in our swim gear ready to head to the water park I found about 10 miles out of the city. When we got there we were a little early because the sign said they open at 10:30 so we drove over to Wal-Mart to get some towels and sunscreen. (Which by the way the door greeter was an old man that played 'I am a child of god' for us on his harmonica) Then we headed back to the water park. Hmmm, it still was closed and it was well past 10:30. Finally I decided that they had that one closed for maintenance so I looked up the next closest water park that was 30 miles away. The girls really really wanted to go so we made the trip. When we got there 45 minutes later we were upset to see that this one was closed too. What was going on? So we went to Sonic to eat our lunch and we asked the server why the water park was closed and she said they close the water parks when kids start school again. Oh well, I would just find the closest rec center so that we could swim there. So again I looked up the closest rec center with a pool and took off another five miles away. We were so excited and got all of our stuff and headed in. But no, we were not going to swim. The lady there said that they close ALL the pools when the school year starts because they don't want to encourage truancy? Weird. She said that she knew of one pool that was open on Saturday and Sunday and that is it. So basically we dove around all day finding no pool to swim in. So we headed the 20 mile journey back to the city. Now this is the kicker, when I pulled up to the hotel the valet man (he's my buddy now) asked me how my day was and I told him about my horrible pool finding experience. He then told me that there is a YMCA down the street with a pool. I said 'doesn't it close for the school year like the rest of the pools?". He told me that the YMCA pool never closes except for cleaning on Sundays. So I went up to my room and googled it and it is literally 0.3 miles away from my hotel. Yes, maybe four blocks at most. So, I guess we will try the swim thing again another day at the YMCA, but as for today, it was a bust. The silver lining of the day was finding a great Mexican restaurant that makes wonderful enchiladas with a white sauce that is right behind our hotel. Hopefully tomorrow will be more eventful.

No comments:

Post a Comment